Tips for Trouble-Free Plumbing
Follow these tips to prevent clogs, avoid costly repair.
- Wipe grease and fatty foods from pans and dishes before washing.
- Pour cooled grease and cooking oil into a disposable container, and then dispose of it in the trash.
- Do not allow these to go down the drain or garbage disposal: grease; greas/fatty foods; fat, lard, shortening; meat drippings; frying oil; salad oil; butter; margarine; dairy products; soups and sauces; coffee ground; products stickers; meat; egg shells; bones; nuts.
- Flush ONLY human waste and toilet paper. Put the following in trash, never in the toilet: disposable wipes; femenine hygiene products; condoms; paper towels; disposable diapers; cat waste and litter; cigarette butts; dental floss; cotton swabs; hair.
- Prevent hair and pet fur from going down drain.
- Never flush or pour unwanted medications down a drain.
Never pour chemicals, solvents, pesticides, paint product, or other forms of Household Hazardous Waste down any drain, inside or out side the house.
DON'T FLUSH SO-CALLED "FLUSHABLE" WIPES!
Flushin disposable cleaning/disinfecting wipes, moist towelettes, or personal hygiene wippes-even if they are labeled as "flushable"-create problems for the homeowner and the District. These wipes do not break down in the water and they can clog private and District sewer lines.